After working out a new MIDI control scheme for the MKS-80, I decided to take a closer look at the cross modulation section. After reading the article in Sound on Sound that I discussed in Cross Modulated Microtonal Improvisation I thought it would be a good challenge to try and create some “clangorous bells”. It took me a little bit of trial and error, but I programmed a couple of bell-like patches that are pretty damn clangorous. Here’s the more clangorous of the two. They sound very analogue, weird, and more bell-like in the upper versus lower register, almost like something off a Tomita record. I added a bit of stereo imaging and reverb to liven them up a bit.
Cross Modulated Clangorous Bells